Careers at Harris Lamb
We believe in helping our people flourish as our business does. Having started 30 years ago as a team of two, we now have a talented 90-strong team located across five Midlands offices offering a diverse range of services and award-winning skills.
We’re committed to helping our team further their careers. If you are a recent graduate we provide in-house mentoring and support toward Professional Qualifications including RICS, RTPI and CIEEM in order to ensure you fulfil your professional goals, and pride ourselves on our dynamic and progressive working culture. We are an organisation that is Investors in people accredited to look after our most valuable commodity.
Throw in a great social calendar, we’re strong advocates of the a good work/life balance and you’ll understand why we’ve got such a high staff retention rate across each of our 14 departments.
If you’re looking to progress your career, learn new skills and be part of an established independent business with a great national reputation, we’d love to hear from you.
Expand for full Job Specification
Depending on experience
Location: Birmingham, Nottingham (flexible working arrangements including home working available)
Salary: £28,000 – £50,000 depending on experience
Harris Lamb are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic ecologist to join our growing Ecology Team. You will work within our integrated ecology and planning team on a wide range of property-related developments across the UK.
The role will be working with, and supporting, our team of six ecologists from an office or home location. The role will be a good mix of office and ecology fieldwork which can necessitate working away from home overnight during the week. The role provides significant scope for developing client contacts through a range of social and networking events and would suit someone wishing to build long-lasting client relationships. To develop your professional career we have a healthy training budget to actively encourage technical and personal growth.
The role would particularly suit someone who is keen to develop a deep understanding of the property sector who would benefit from working alongside our planning and residential agents on projects from the early stage right through to construction and long-term management. The role would be of particular interest to someone keen to work alongside our ecological contracting team supporting the implementation of protected species mitigation post consent.
- Project Management – co-ordination of field surveys, managing project budgets, client liaison and consultations with statutory and non-statutory consultees
- Desk studies – reviewing and assessing existing ecological information produced by the team
- Ecological field surveys and training of junior staff in the field and supporting improving in-field data collection techniques
- Assessment of the impacts of proposed developments, developing recommendations for the mitigation of ecological impacts and devising monitoring schemes
- Good understanding of Biodiversity Net Gain and the use of DEFRA metric
- Production of survey reports, Environmental Statement chapters, licence applications and other documents to support planning.
- Attendance at meetings and providing advice to clients and delivering teams presentations for CDP to clients and staff.
- General administrative / management tasks relating to project quality, environmental issues, and health and safety (including risk assessment), and marketing.
Capabilities & Qualifications
- Experience of working within a planning or environmental consultancy
- A relevant degree preferable and full member of CIEEM
- The ideal candidate would hold a Class 2 bat licence and/or a hazel dormouse licence with EPS licensing experience
- Detailed knowledge of relevant wildlife legislation and ecological impact assessment under the EIA regulations
- In-depth knowledge of plant or animal groups and appropriate field survey skills sufficient to support the development of junior staff
- Excellent commercial and project management skills
- Ability to lead a survey team of ecologists
- Ideally hold/have experience of Survey and/or Development Licenses
- Full driving licence
Successful candidates with the required skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package. You can expect:
- To work in a friendly environment with excellent opportunities to learn about the property sector;
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance;
- Generous support package for professional development through both internal and external training;
- Generous car allowance;
- Payment of membership fees to relevant professional body;
- The opportunity to work with, and help in developing our use of, new and exciting technologies in the field;
- To be encouraged to have your say on how the company aims are delivered;
- Contributions to a pension;
- Flexible working including options for home working;
- Company-funded regular staff social events throughout the year.
Submit your CV to: