Use Classes


A1 (Shops) Shops, retail warehouses, hairdressers, undertakers, travel and ticket agencies, post offices, pet shops, sandwich bars, showrooms, domestic hire shops, dry cleaners, funeral directors and internet cafes. A1 or A2 & up to 2 flats; Temporary (2 years) to A2, A3 or B1; C3*; A2; A3*; D2*.
A2 (Professional and Financial Services) Financial services such as banks and building societies, professional services (other than health and medical services) and including estate and employment agencies. It does not include betting offices or pay day loan shops A1, where there is a display window at ground floor level; A1 or A2 & up to 2 flats; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A3 or B1; C3*; A3*; D2*.
A3 (Restaurants and Cafes) For the sale of food and drink for consumption on the premises - restaurants, snack bars and cafes. C1 or C2; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2 or B1.
A4 (Drinking Establishments) Public houses, wine bars or other drinking establishments (but not night clubs). A3; AA.
A5 (Hot Food Takeaways) For the sale of hot food for consumption off the premises. A1, A2 or A3; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2, A3 or B1.
AA (Drinking Establishment with Expanded Food Provision) A4
B1 (Business) B1(a): Offices (other than those that fall within A2). B1(b): Research and development of products and processes. B1(c): Light industry appropriate in a residential area. B8; B1(a) to C3*; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2 or A3; State funded school or nursery*; B1(c) to C3* (made between 1 October 2017 - 30 September 2020).
B2 (General Industrial) Use for industrial process other than one falling within class B1 (excluding incineration purposes, chemical treatment or landfill or hazardous waste). B1; B8.
B8 (Storage and Distribution) This class includes open air storage. B1; C3* (until 15 April 2018).
C1 (Hotels) Hotels, boarding and guest houses (where no significant element of care is provided) State funded school or nursery*.
C2 (Residential Institutions) Residential accommodation and care to people in need of care, residential schools, colleges or training centres, hospitals, nursing homes State funded school or nursery*.
C3 (Dwellinghouses) C3(a) Use by a single person or a family (a couple whether married or not, a person related to one another with members of the family of one of the couple to be treated as members of the family of the other), an employer and certain domestic employees (such as an au pair, nanny, nurse, governess, servant, chauffeur, gardener, secretary and personal assistant), a carer and the person receiving the care and a foster parent and foster child. C3(b): Up to six people living together as a single household and receiving care e.g. supported housing schemes such as those for people with learning disabilities or mental health problems. C3(c) groups of people (up to six) living together as a single household. This allows for those groupings that do not fall within the C4 HMO definition, but which fell within the previous C3 use class, to be provided for i.e. a small religious community may fall into this section as could a homeowner who is living with a lodger. C4.
C4 (Small Houses in Multiple Occupation) Small shared houses occupied by between three and six unrelated individuals, as their only or main residence, who share basic amenities such as a kitchen or bathroom. C3.
D1 (Non-residential Institutions) Clinics, health centres, crèches, day nurseries, day centres, schools, art galleries (other than for sale or hire), museums, libraries, halls, places of worship, church halls, law court. Nonresidential education and training centres. Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2, A3 or B1.
D2 (Assembly and Leisure) Cinemas, music and concert halls, bingo and dance halls (but not night clubs), swimming baths, skating rinks, gymnasiums or area for indoor or outdoor sports and recreations (except for motor sports, or where firearms are used). State funded school or nursery*; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2, A3 or B1.
Sui Generis** (Casinos and Amusement Arcades / Centres) A3*; D2; C3*.
Sui Generis** (Betting Offices and Pay Day Loan Shops) A1, A2, A3 or D2*; A1 & up to 2 flats (if a display window at ground floor level); A2 & up to 2 flats Betting Offices and Pay Day Loan Shops & up to 2 flats; C3*; Temporary (2 years) to A1, A2, A3 or B1.
Sui Generis** (Agricultural Buildings) C3*; Flexible changes to A1, A2, A3, B1, B8, C1 or D2*; State funded school or nursery*.

*Subject to prior approval **Whilst the most commonly found uses are contained within the 1987 Use Classes Order (as amended), there are many uses that are not specifically categorised by the four main use classes. These are classified as sui generis. We have tried to illustrate some of the sui generis uses but they are not intended to be exhaustive. Sui generis uses are their own specific use and planning permission is normally required for any change of use.

DISCLAIMER: This is a general guide only to the Use Classes at June 2017 and is not intended to be comprehensive or a substitute for taking detailed professional advice. No liability is accepted for the information it contains or for errors or omissions.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.