Careers at Harris Lamb
We believe in helping our people flourish as our business does. Having started 30 years ago as a team of two, we now have a talented 90-strong team located across five Midlands offices offering a diverse range of services and award-winning skills.
We’re committed to helping our team further their careers. If you are a recent graduate we provide in-house mentoring and support toward Professional Qualifications including RICS, RTPI and CIEEM in order to ensure you fulfil your professional goals, and pride ourselves on our dynamic and progressive working culture. We are an organisation that is Investors in people accredited to look after our most valuable commodity.
Throw in a great social calendar, we’re strong advocates of the a good work/life balance and you’ll understand why we’ve got such a high staff retention rate across each of our 14 departments.
If you’re looking to progress your career, learn new skills and be part of an established independent business with a great national reputation, we’d love to hear from you.
Expand for full Job Specification
Location: Birmingham, Nottingham (flexible working arrangements including home working available)
Salary: £25,000 – £30,000 plus car allowance
Harris Lamb are looking for an experienced and enthusiastic ecologist to join our growing Ecology Team. You will work within our integrated ecology and planning team on a wide range of property-related developments across the UK. The role will be working with our team of six ecologists from an office or home location. The role will be a good mix of office and ecology fieldwork which can necessitate working away from home overnight during the week. The role provides significant scope for developing client contacts through a range of social and networking events and would suit someone wishing to build long-lasting client relationships. To develop your professional career we have a healthy training budget to actively encourage technical and personal growth.
The role would particularly suit someone who is keen to develop a deep understanding of the property sector who would benefit from working alongside our planning and residential agents on projects from the early stage right through to construction and long-term management. The role would be of particular interest to someone keen to work alongside our ecological contracting team supporting the implementation of protected species mitigation post consent.
- Project Management – co-ordination of field surveys, managing project budgets, supporting with client liaison and consultations with statutory and non-statutory consultees
- Desk studies – coordinating and assessing existing ecological information produced by the team
- Ecological field surveys and coordinating junior members of staff and supporting improving in-field data collection techniques
- Supporting with assessment of the impacts of proposed developments, developing recommendations for the mitigation of ecological impacts and devising monitoring schemes
- Good understanding of Biodiversity Net Gain and the use of DEFRA metric
- Production of survey reports, drafting Environmental Statement chapters and other documents to support planning.
- Supporting senior members of staff by attending meetings.
- General administrative / management tasks relating to project quality, environmental issues, and health and safety (including risk assessment), and marketing.
Capabilities & Qualifications
- Experience of working within a planning or environmental consultancy
- A relevant degree preferable and workign towards full member of CIEEM
- An understanding of wildlife legislation and ecological impact assessment under the EIA regulations
- Knowledge of plant or animal groups and working towards a specialism
- Excellent commercial and project management skills
- Ability to support coordination of a survey team of ecologists
- Full driving licence
Successful candidates with the required skills and experience will be rewarded with a competitive salary and benefits package. You can expect:
- To work in a friendly environment with excellent opportunities to learn about the property sector;
- Annual company performance bonus scheme – Subject to company performance;
- Generous support package for professional development through both internal and external training;
- Generous car allowance;
- Payment of membership fees to relevant professional body;
- The opportunity to work with, and help in developing our use of, new and exciting technologies in the field;
- To be encouraged to have your say on how the company aims are delivered;
- Contributions to a pension;
- Flexible working including options for home working;
- Company-funded regular staff social events throughout the year.
Submit your CV to:
Full Time Receptionist
Expand for full Job Specification
- Receiving visitors at the front desk by greeting, welcoming, directing and announcing them appropriately
- Answering screening and forwarding incoming phone calls
- Receiving and sorting daily mail
- Direct visitors to the appropriate person and office
- Ensure reception area is tidy and presentable, with all necessary stationery and material (e.g. pens, forms and brochures)
- Provide basic and accurate information in-person and via phone/email
- Maintain office security by following safety procedures and controlling access via the reception desk (monitor logbook, issue visitor badges)
- Book out meeting rooms
- Maintain the key cupboard
- Ordering sandwiches/ lunch for meetings
- Making drinks for client meetings/ staff when required
- Maintaining holidays/ sickness
- Proven work experience as a Receptionist, Front Office Representative, or similar role
- Proficiency in Microsoft Systems (Word/ Excel/ Powerpoint/ Teams)
- Friendly and polite
Surveyor/Senior Surveyor (Property Manager)
Expand for full Job Specification
Exciting opportunity for an experienced property manager at Surveyor/Senior Surveyor level to join our Property Management team, taking responsibility for the management of a diverse commercial property portfolio, predominantly based in the Midlands region.
Managing the transition of clients / property instructions efficiently in and out of the department.
Ensure statutory compliance is being adhered to on all sites under their management, including acting on or escalating any issues of non-compliance.
Regularly review leases and check accurate data is being maintained on our property management system (Propman)
Undertake routine property inspections in accordance with client instructions, and in line with the terms of the property management agreement.
Regularly review and ensure all necessary insurance valuations are being undertaken by the client, providing accurate insurance data to the client’s appointed broker for renewal, and ensure all insurance premiums are being recharged to tenants accordingly.
Ensure all rent demands are raised accurately, and in accordance with the terms of the leases.
Ensure credit control targets are being achieved for both rent and service charge collections, and that suppliers are being paid in accordance with their payment terms.
Work with the Regional Facilities Manager to review and obtain client approval on service charge budgets.
Regularly review service charge cash flows and budgets on a monthly/quarterly basis, subject to client requirements.
Review and approve service charge year end reconciliations in accordance with RICS guidelines and client instructions.
Review tenant applications in accordance with their lease terms, prepare client recommendations, and obtain client instructions.
Prepare and ensure all client reports and associated data is prepared to the correct specifications and issued to clients in accordance with agreed timescales.
Be responsible for arranging and chairing occupier management meetings, where required.
Be responsible for taking the appropriate action in response to any legal notice that may be received in relation to a managed property
Identify and progress any opportunities of cross selling additional services to our clients.
Knowledge & Experience:
Preferably RICS qualified but not essential.
Ideally experience in managing a mixed portfolio of commercial, industrial and retail properties.
Continually updating knowledge of legislation changes relating to property management and RICS guidance.
Good interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain relations, as the role will involve regular and direct communication with clients, occupiers, suppliers, and internal colleagues.
Apply the principles of service charge management to ensure compliance with all regulatory and procedural requirements including the terms of the leases.
Be able to contribute towards team and departmental business plans
Be able to work as part of a team, supporting other team members, and recognising the work of others
Be able to prioritise and co-ordinate tasks efficiently, ensuring all deadlines are met
Maintain a positive attitude towards routine tasks, as well as having accurate and exceptional attention to detail.
Pro-active and enjoys working autonomously, and as part of a wider team.
Exciting opportunity to join an established team, offering opportunities for career development.
Undergraduate/ Graduate Surveyor
Expand for full Job Specification
Harris Lamb are seeking an undergraduate/graduate surveyor to join the Residential Land Team based in the Birmingham office.
The role will require an under/post graduate with good placement experience , either qualified or studying a Planning Degree and who is looking to achieve full RTPI or RICS accreditation. The post will include a broad portfolio of land acquisitions , land sales , regeneration sites , strategic land , affordable housing package deals and s106 advise.
The position will offer APC support and wide experience . This position comes with the potential for significant career progression with excellent support and guidance throughout the APC from a market leading firm and team of Chartered Surveyors and Town Planners.
You will need to have the drive to deal with different and sometimes complex property challenges which can mean working to a fixed time frame. Dealing directly with clients you will learn how to work at a high level quickly with support from the team.
You will need to be able to work as part of a team and support the team.
This is a great opportunity for a focused and ambitious Under/Graduate keen to learn the best techniques from a team with some of the best experience in the market.
On offer is a remuneration package, demonstrable with the candidate’s experience.