HARRIS LAMB COMPLETES RESIDENTIAL CONVERSION OF HISTORIC JEWELLERY QUARTER BUILDINGS
The renovation of two Grade II listed buildings in Birmingham’s Jewellery Quarter has reached practical completion.
Harris Lamb’s Building Consultancy team was tasked with overseeing the conversion of The Reliance Works at 41-42 Caroline Street into nine apartments and a commercial unit, with work on the residential renovations now finished.
The important project saw the team taking special care to ensure that original features of the building, which is almost 200 years old, were preserved.
Paul Wells, Director at Harris Lamb, said: “The Grade II status of the buildings, which date back to 1826, means this project has been a very sensitive process, with incredibly rewarding results. Throughout the conversion process, the team has taken care to be very respectful of their heritage, retaining as many existing original features as possible in order to preserve the character of these beautiful buildings.
“Now complete, the one- and two-bedroom apartments combine high-specification, contemporary living with a stunning Georgian façade.”
The Reliance Works was the hub for Pickering and Mayell’s jewellery case making plant for almost 100 years from 1913 until 2012 when the business merged with the Talbot group and vacated the premises to relocate nearby.
Harris Lamb’s Planning team secured the permissions for residential conversion of the properties in 2019 on behalf of Reliance Works Ltd, the residential arm of CityBlock, a student accommodation provider with a track record delivering schemes in Lancaster, Durham and Reading.
Paul added: “it has been a pleasure to work on this project. Reliance Works Ltd’s considered and meticulous approach to working with the historic character and value of the building meant that Birmingham City Council approved the plans to secure the long-term future of the properties, and we have enjoyed the process of both preserving and developing landmark buildings to bring them into use once more.”
The apartments are being marketed by Maguire Jackson.
In addition to the refurbishment, the team was tasked with creating a new section to the rear of the premises, designed in a sympathetic style to the original building.